Baseball Blurbs by Bruce
Wenatchee 15 , Kelowna 8 last night.
Wenatchee (28-22) at Kelowna (15-35) 6:35 tonight.
Pippins Procure Pennant
Yakima Valley is the East champ. Their 7-6 win over Cowlitz last night clinched it.
A wild card berth is still possible for the AppleSox (28-22). To do it they’ve got to run down Bend (29-21), and surpass them as the Elks hold the tie-breaker.
- AppleSox last four games: Kelowna away tonight, Yakima Valley (33-18) home this weekend. Series so far, Sox 5-1 vs. Pippins. Y.V. hottest team in league with 10 straight wins.
- Elks last four games: Corvallis away tonight, Klamath Falls (13-38) home this weekend. Series so far, Elks 6-0 vs. Gems. K.F. 2-9 over last 11 games.
“Need a Little Help from My Friends” is the tune of the day for the Apple Capital bunch...the friends in this case being the Knights and Gems. To overtake Bend and make the playoffs the AppleSox have to win two more than the Elks. If Bend finishes 2-2 Wenatchee needs 4-0; Bend 1-3, Wenatchee 3-1 and Bend 0-4, Wenatchee 2-2.
Corvallis has assured themselves a playoff berth and at least a tie for the South title. Bend could tie with the Knights’ as co-champs, but Corvallis owns the tie-breaker. If a tie happened both would advance to the playoffs, the Knights because of the tie-breaker and Bend as the wild card.
- Wenatchee has a four-game win streak over Kelowna.
- In the AppleSox last 18 games with the Falcons the two clubs have combined for 10 or more runs 15 times.
- In those 18 games Wenatchee alone as had 10 or more runs seven times.
- In the last three contests with Kelowna the Sox have outscored them 39-9.
- Yakima Valley’s 10-game win streak ties for the sixth longest win steak in WCL history.
August 6 Games
And the good playing dates keep on coming. On the seventh day of the eighth month Wenatchee is 7-2 overall, 6-2 league, 1-0 nonleague, 3-1 at home, 4-1 on the road and has a two-game win streak.
East: Yakima Valley 33-18, WENATCHEE 28-22, Walla Walla 25-25, Kelowna 15-35
West: Bellingham 36-15, Victoria 23-27, Cowlitz 22-29, Kitsap 21-30
South: Corvallis 33-17, Bend 29-21, Medford 25-26, Klamath Falls 13-38
Who’s Hot: Yakima Valley has won 10 straight. Wenatchee has won 5 of 6. Bellingham has won 4 of 5.
Who’s Not: Kelowna has lost 6 straight and 8 of 9. Kitsap has lost 6 of 7. Cowlitz has lost 5 of 6. Klamath Falls has lost 4 of 5 and 9 of 11.