Baseball Blurbs by Bruce
Yakima Valley 7, Wenatchee 6 in 10 innings last night.
Yakima Valley (34-19) at Wenatchee (30-23) 6:05 tonight.
Tonight ends the 2014 season. This is the first time in 13 years the AppleSox have not qualified for playoff baseball. The loss last evening coupled with Bend’s win eliminated the local nine from the wild card race. Wenatchee finishes second in the East Division, the 13th consecutive year they’ve placed either first or second in the final regular season standings. They have nine firsts and four seconds.
Seattle Times Story on the West Coast League
Must read from yesterday’s Seattle Times. Two AppleSox players and one host family get mentioned. http://seattletimes.com/html/sports/2024280416_westcoastleague10xml.html
Plethora of Runs
Fans of scoring, and plenty of it, should have enjoyed their experience at Paul Thomas this season. The AppleSox and their opponents have crossed home plate more this year than any other in the last decade, or the beginning of the West Coast League.
- Wenatchee is averaging 6.09 runs per game...previous high 5.81 in 2005.
- Opponents are averaging 5.55...previous high 4.36 last year.
- Combined runs are 11.62...previous high 9.85 in 2012.
Adding in the five years in the Pacific International League:
- This year’s 6.09 runs per game is second to 6.69 in 2004.
- This year’s opponent average of 5.55 is second to 6.53 in 2000.
- This year’s combined average of 11.62 is second to 11.83 in 2004.
- Eighth extra-inning game of the season last night...one in the first 37 games, seven in the last 21.
- Seventeenth one-run game of the season last night...Sox are 9-8.
- Three-way tie for silver medal in West possible. If Kitsap (23-30) wins at Victoria (24-29) and Cowlitz (24-29) loses at home to Bellingham the trio all finish 24-30.
- By the way, the Cowlitz/Bellingham game suspended after eight innings Friday to make way for a Cort Carpenter concert at Story Field, had no change in the score after playing the final half inning last night – Cowlitz 10, Bellingham 9.
August 10 Games
This will be the first time Wenatchee has played at home on August 10 in nine years. Their last contest on the local diamond was a 3-0 win over the Spokane RiverHawks in 2005. The record: 5-3 over, 4-3 league, 1-0 nonleague, 1-1 home and 4-2 away. A year ago they won 10-2 in Kelowna.
East: Yakima Valley 34-19, WENATCHEE 30-23, Walla Walla 27-26, Kelowna 15-38
West: Bellingham 36-17, Victoria 24-29, Cowlitz 24-29, Kitsap 23-30
South: Corvallis 35-18, Bend 31-22, Medford 25-28, Klamath Falls 14-39