Baseball Blurbs by Bruce
Wenatchee (13-11) at Kelowna (7-17) 6:35 tonight.
Wenatchee vs. Kelowna
Series started in 2000
- will be facing the Falcons for the 103rd time...the most of any opponent. Bellingham is next at 88.
- leads 71-31 overall, 65-28 in league in games, 6-2 in playoffs and trails 1-0 in a nonleague outing in 2000.
- leads 32-17 in B.C.
- and Kelowna are the lowest scoring teams in the league with the Sox averaging 5.04 runs per game and the Falcons 3.78.
- will be making their first of two trips to Kelowna...they go again August 5-7. In between the pair of British Columbia trips the Falcons will be here July 22-24.
- split six games with Kelowna last summer, each winning every other game.
Vinnie Catricala Featured in Seattle Times
A super feature article by Larry Stone on former AppleSox Vinnie Catricala took up over 70 percent of the front page of the sports section in yesterday’s Seattle Times. In 2011 he was the Mariners minor-league player of the year. After five years in the minors, and once reaching the Mariners 40-man roster, Catricala retired from baseball to become a police officer in Sacramento. http://seattletimes.com/html/larrystone/2023980052_stonecatricala03xml.html?syndication=rss
Catricala came to the Wenatchee in 2007 from the University of Hawaii and hit .303 and started 47 of the team’s 51 games.
July 4 Games
In Independence Day games the AppleSox are 8-7 overall, 7-6 league, 1-1 nonleague, 6-6 at home and 2-1 on the road. A year ago they beat Victoria 3-2 to break a three-game July 4 losing streak. They are 2-1 against Kelowna on this date.
East: Yakima Valley 14-8, WENATCHEE 13-11, Walla Walla 8-14, Kelowna 7-17
West: Bellingham 16-5, Cowlitz 11-11, Victoria 9-12, Kitsap 8-12
South: Corvallis 15-10, Medford 12-9, Bend 14-11, Klamath Falls 7-14
Who’s Hot: Bellingham has won 8 straight. Bend has won 8 of 9. Yakima Valley has won 8 of 10. Victoria has won 4 straight. Corvallis won 4 straight.
Who’s Not: Kitsap has lost 8 straight. Kelowna has lost 8 of 9. Medford has lost 4 straight. Wenatchee has lost 4 of 5.