Baseball Blurbs by Bruce
Walla Walla 15, Wenatchee 10 last night.
No game tonight.
Some Gotta Win, Some Gotta Lose
- is 10-10 at home, only the second time they have not had a winning record after 20 games at Paul Thomas in 14 years. In 2009 the team was also 10-10 at home and then went 9-1 the rest of the way.
- is 15-15 in league games, only the second time they have not had a winning record after 30 games in 13 years. In 2007 they were also 15-15 and went 8-3 the balance of the schedule.
- has lost seven consecutive league games at home...a franchise high.
- lost their second straight three-game series at home in WCL play. Up until this season they had never lost one series.
- surrendered 38 runs in a three-game series, a new team record. Old mark was 30 to Spokane in 2009.
- Another three-plus hour game at home (3:05). Their third in row, fourth in five games and 10th of 20 games for the season.
- Fifth straight home game and fifth straight day where the National Weather Service recorded a triple-digit high for the day at the airport...102. In 15 seasons the temp has only been 100+ 18 times on home game days and 27.8 percent of those just occurred. The Sox are 12-7 on these sizzling days (totals 19, but there was a doubleheader in 2001).
- Thirty league games have been played with 24 to go. In their first four years of existence (2000 to ‘03) league play was over at the 30-game mark.
Missed A Couple Of Big Ones
Last night was Alum Night at the ballpark and several former AppleSox appeared,were introduced and presented on the field. Two of the most successful former Sox were not here and they were only 147 miles away. Oakland and Seattle were playing at Safeco and both Tommy Milone and Jason Hammel, pitchers for the visitors, had the night off. Maybe it could have been arranged.
Bells In The Bag
With a 10.5 game lead in the West, who thinks Bellingham is has not already punched their playoff ticket? The Bells (23-6) have 25 games remaining while Victoria and Cowlitz (each 13-17) both have 24.
East: Yakima Valley 19-11, WENATCHEE 15-15, Walla Walla 15-15, Kelowna 8-22
West: Bellingham 23-6, Victoria 13-17, Cowlitz 13-17, Kitsap 11-18
South: Corvallis 21-12, Bend 19-14, Medford 17-13, Klamath Falls 8-22
Who’s Hot: Bellingham as won 14 of 15. Walla Walla has won 7 of 8.
Who’s Not: Kelowna has lost 13 of 15. Klamath Falls has lost 9 of 10. Wenatchee has lost 4 of 5 and 7 of 9. Victoria has lost 4 of 4.