Baseball Blurbs by Bruce
Walla Walla 8, Wenatchee 7 last night.
Wenatchee (16-16) at Walla Walla (16-16) tonight.
Another Shot At 500
Wenatchee will take the field tonight with another shot at their 500th win in franchise history. In 788 games they have a record of 499-289 (63.3%).
Stickers On Their Luggage
In 15 years Wenatchee has played games in 25 cities in addition to the Apple Capital.
- Washington – Bellingham, Bremerton, Colfax, Everett, Hoquiam, Kirkland, Longview, Moses Lake, Seattle, Spokane, Tacoma, Walla Walla and Yakima.
- Oregon – Bend, Corvallis, Gresham, Klamath Falls and Medford.
- Kansas – Hutchinson and Wichita.
- British Columbia – Coquitlam, Kamloops, Kelowna, Langley and Victoria.
- After 32 league games the AppleSox are averaging 5.50 runs per game, which ranks seventh in their 10 years in the WCL. The most was 5.81 in 2005, fewest 4.29 on 2006. They are surrendering 6.03 which ranks 10th. The fewest was 3.46 in 2011.
- Last night makes a dozen one-run contests this season...the Sox are 6-6.
July 16 Games
Hump day for July is today. On this day smack in the middle of the seventh month the AppleSox are 7-4 overall, 5-2 league, 2-2 nonleague, 4-0 home and 3-4 away. This was a big day for the Sox a year ago as they thumped Kelowna 22-10 and set two WCL records – most runs scored by one team and most runs combined.
How The West Was Won
Bellingham could go 12-11 over their remaining league games and still win the West. Add the 12 to the 25 they have now for a total of 37. Second place Cowlitz is 14-18 and if they won all of their remaining 22 games would finish with 36.
East: Yakima Valley 21-12, WENATCHEE 16-16, Walla Walla 16-16, Kelowna 9-23
West: Bellingham 25-6, Cowlitz 14-18, Victoria 13-19, Kitsap 12-19
South: Corvallis 21-12, Bend 19-14, Medford 18-15, Klamath Falls 9-23
Who’s Hot: Bellingham as won 16 of 17. Yakima Valley has won 7 of 8. Corvallis has won 5 of 6 and 10 of 12.
Who’s Not: Klamath Falls has lost 8 of 9. Victoria has lost 7 of 8. Kelowna has lost 14 of 17.
Corvallis has given up two runs in their last three games.
Victoria has scored one in each of their last three games.