Baseball Blurbs by Bruce
Victoria 5, Wenatchee 0 last night.
Victoria (20-24) at Wenatchee (23-21) 7:05 tonight.
- Last night’s 5-0 loss was the first shutout for Wenatchee this season. Through the years they have been blanked 31 times and 15 at home.
- The Sox are experiencing their first losing July in 10 years. They are 11-13 and have just tonight’s game remaining. They also lost more than half their July games in 2000 and ‘03.
- Bellingham clinched the West Division pennant last night.
- Last evening Kelowna and Kitsap joined Victoria, Cowlitz and Klamath Falls as teams that can not win their divisions.
New Wenatchee Record Book Entries
Over the past few games three team individual records have been tied.
- Nick Brooks had five hits the 27th at Bend. This ties with Daniel Gebbers ‘04, Luke Zirkle ‘08 and Breland Almadova ‘11.
- Kyle Vanderkin the 25th at Bend and Joe Gillette the 29th at home each walked four times. This ties Brent Wyatt ‘06, Zach Mandelblatt ‘07 and Clayton Eslick ‘10.
July 31 Games
The last day of the seventh month has been a dandy one for the AppleSox. They have won eight of nine for 88.9 percent. There are only two days of nine or more games with a higher winning percentage. On July 31 the Sox have are 8-1 overall, 7-1 league, 1-0 nonleague, have never lost at home in six games and are 2-1 on the road. They have a two-game win streak and beat Walla Walla last year 2-1.
East: Yakima Valley 26-18, WENATCHEE 23-21, Walla Walla 21-23, Kelowna 15-29
West: Bellingham 32-12, Cowlitz 21-24, Victoria 20-24, Kitsap 19-24
South: Corvallis 29-15, Bend 26-18, Medford 22-23, Klamath Falls 11-34
Who’s Hot: Corvallis has won 5 of 6 and 8 of 10. Kitsap has won 4 of 5.
Who’s Not: Klamath Falls has lost 5 straight and 8 of 9. Medford has lost 5 of 6.