Baseball Blubs by Bruce
Wenatchee 7, Walla Walla 3, last night.
Corvallis (9-6) at Wenatchee (9-6) 7:05 tonight.
Wenatchee vs. Corvallis
Started in 2000 (from 2000 to ‘06 they were known as Aloha).
- is tied with the Knights 36-36 overall, trails in league games 30-28, leads in nonleague 3-1 and is tied in playoff games at 5-5.
- leads at home 24-18.
- has lost five in a row and six of seven.
- has played the Knights 42 times in the Apple Capital and 30 times in Corvallis.
Kings of the Hill
The AppleSox and Knights
- have won 13 of the 16 divisional titles since the WCL started in 2005. (There was one division in ‘05 and ‘06 and two from ‘07 to ‘13.)
- have by far the best overall records among league members with at least 200 games. As of last night Corvallis wins at a 67.6% clip (294-141) and Wenatchee 64.4% (279-154). Next highest is Bend at 51.4%.
- tie in a tally of “low team wins.” Wenatchee has six first-place finishes and three seconds in divisional play, while Corvallis has seven first places, one second and one third. Giving one point for first, two for second, three for third, etc., both the AppleSox and Knights have 12. To show how dominant these two teams have been, the other four charter members have point totals of Bend 26, Bellingham 32, Kelowna 32 and Kitsap 39.
Have You Seen Them All?
The next AppleSox win at Paul Thomas Sr. Baseball Stadium will be their 300th on the local field. Counting all games Wenatchee has 299 wins and 140 losses (68.1%) at home since they started in 2000. And yes, they do better here than on the road where they are 192-138 (58.2%). (The scorekeeper has seen 435 of the 439.)
June 23 Games
The AppleSox are on a roll on the 23rd day of June. With three consecutive wins they now have a winning record for the day at 8-6. In league play they are 7-5 and at home 6-3.
East: WENATCHEE 9-6, Yakima Valley 6-6, Walla Walla 6-9, Kelowna 6-9
West: Bellingham 9-5, Kitsap 7-4, Cowlitz 7-8, Victoria 5-7
South: Medford 10-3, Corvallis 9-6, Bend 6-10, Klamath Falls 4-11
Who’s Hot: Medford has won 4 straight and 10 of 11.
Who’s Not: Cowlitz has lost 5 straight. Victoria has lost 4 straight.