If you’re looking for variety in your local sports experience, December is a great month to do just that.
There’s a long list of things to participate in or be a spectator of between now and the new year. Here’s a sampling:
- The Wenatchee Wild have three games scheduled this month, a smaller list than normal as the league takes a couple of weeks off over the holidays to let the players head home.
- Mission Ridge has its first major race of the year, the Northwest Cup No. 1 FIS Slalom Dec. 12-13.
- If you want to stay inside, you can take in some competitive racquetball at the Wenatchee Racquet and Athletic Club this weekend as it holds its Holiday Tournament from Friday afternoon through Sunday.
- Velocity Swimming is hosting its annual Christmas Open Swim Meet at the Eastmont YMCA Aquatic Center on Saturday and Sunday. Some 205 swimmers from throughout the state ages 6-17 will be on hand.
- If you enjoy high school basketball, it doesn’t get much better than the NCW Showcase at the Town Toyota Center, Dec. 18-20. Twelve boys and girls varsity teams from throughout the area will compete. You owe it to yourself to take in basketball at the Town Toyota Center. There truly isn’t a bad seat in the house, and the setting is a thrill for the teams to experience.
- Besides basketball, high schools have a full slate of wrestling this month, and some of the larger schools have swimming, diving and even bowling competitions.
- Basketball at Wenatchee Valley College is pretty light in December, but picks up a lot of momentum starting in January.
If attending those events isn’t of interest, there’s plenty of personal opportunity for skiing, snowshoeing, skating and hiking. Clubs and organizations also have a variety of opportunities for lessons or competitive sports. Indoor Ultimate Frisbee is even available! Whether you’re searching for new things to do, or just want to ease back into the winter sports scene, it doesn’t get much better than December in the Wenatchee Valley.
The Wenatchee Valley Sports Council is a partner of the Wenatchee Valley Chamber of Commerce, assisting with destination marketing. For more Sports Council related information, please contact Matt at the Chamber offices: 509-662-2116 or firstname.lastname@example.org.