The Wenatchee World

Weather:

Weather

The latest extended forecast from The Weather Channel

Remove this weather forecast

Hydrologic Outlook issued January 17 at 12:00AM PST until January 17 at 6:00PM PST by NWS

...Rain and snowmelt may cause localized flooding issues this week... A change in the weather pattern this week will bring above freezing temperatures to much of the region and the potential for significant rainfall to far eastern Washington and the Idaho Panhandle. With widespread low elevation snow across the Inland

Overnight

Lo10° Slight Chance Wintry Mix

Tuesday

Hi21° Wintry Mix Likely

Tuesday Night

Lo20° Freezing Rain

Wednesday

Hi32° Rain/Freezing Rain

Wednesday Night

Lo29° Wintry Mix Likely then Slight Chance Snow

Thursday

Hi36° Cloudy

Thursday Night

Lo27° Slight Chance Rain/Snow

Friday

Hi34° Rain

Friday Night

Lo26° Rain/Snow

Saturday

Hi35° Chance Rain

Stuck fermentation

Send to Kindle
Print This

I've been having trouble getting my latest vintage of cabernet sauvignon fully fermented.

Secondary fermentation stopped with about 3 percent unfermented sugar a few months ago. I added heat pads around the three 5-gallon carboys to get fermentation started again. That seemed to work well. My hydrometer tests showed very close to 1.00 specific gravity.

I racked the wine, added oak chips and put the carboys in the cool cellar at the end of December and left it alone to hibernate for the winter.

I took a taste of the cabernet last month while messing with some other wines and was surpised at how sweet it tasted. I took new hydrometer readings and found that there was still a bit of residual sugar in all three carboys.

I started a batch of a high-powered yeast — Red Star Premier Curvee — and added some of that with yeast energizer to all three carboys and brought the heat back up to about 75 degrees. That was about two weeks ago. I removed the heat to return it to 50 degree cellar temperatures last week.

I racked the three carboys again Sunday, took hydrometer readings and tastes. The wines are getting close to where they should be, but there's still some slow fermentation going on and a hint of sweetness, especially in one of the carboys.

I haven't decided at this point whether to add yeast again or let them slowly take care of themselves.

Any suggestions?