100 years ago — 1912
• Out of 46 jurors drawn for the September term of the Superior Court, 17 are women. Among them is Mrs. Sam R. Sumner, wife of Wenatchee’s city attorney.
• A flour mill with a capacity of 100 barrels a day is being promoted for Douglas, an up and coming grain center of the Big Bend, and it is hoped the plant will be running in time for this year’s crop. The mill is expected to cost $30,000.
• Inquiries are constantly being received by The Daily World regarding the line of the Wenatchee Valley Railway and Power Co., which was granted a franchise for an electric line up the valley to Leavenworth. Some work has been done both here and in Cashmere on the grading, and the company has until Sept. 12 to start active construction. Manager E.J. Felt, chief promoter, is still in the east negotiating for the sale of bonds and local associates believe there is little doubt that he will meet with success.
50 years ago — 1962
• Tom Kelly and Charles M. Roberson have formed Kelro, Inc., for the purpose of operating the Ben Franklin store which will open soon at 12 N. Wenatchee Ave. Roberson, who has 11 years of retail experience, will manage the new store. Kelly will continue to operate the Tom Kelly Jewelry store. He has about 35 years retail experience.
• Al Keeler, a former Entiat athlete, has accepted the head basketball coaching job at Toppenish High School. He has been head coach at Waterville for the past two years.
25 years ago — 1987
• Comedian Jay Kulm, a hometown product who has appeared in the Washington Dairy Association’s “Comoody” commercials and in comedy clubs up and down the coast, will be the headliner for the Quincy Farmer-Consumer Awareness Day entertainment on Sept. 12.
• Dick Lapo has been cast as Tevye in Music Theater of Wenatchee’s production of “Fiddler on the Roof,” to be presented during next spring’s Apple Blossom Festival.
• Violinist Katherine Notter, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. David T. Notter of Wenatchee, is among 160 musicians from throughout the country taking part in the Marrowstone Music Festival this month at Port Townsend.