ORONDO — A 2,600-square-foot shop in Orondo suffered heavy fire damage Saturday, but the building was saved thanks a good response by firefighters, Douglas County Fire District 4 Chief Jim Oatey said.
The blaze at 127 Nollmeyer Road was reported at 2:30 p.m., and firefighters arrived to find the north half of the building fully involved, he said.
The building’s owner, Dan Cox, told officials he was welding an ATV inside the shop, and fuel from the vehicle ignited and started the fire, the fire chief said. Cox tried unsuccessfully to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.
About 16 firefighters and five trucks responded to the fire, including help from Chelan County Fire District 7.
They were able to knock down the fire from the outside. “It was a big fire, but everything went really well,” Oatey said.
There were no injuries.