OMAK — A 60-year-old Omak man was found dead Wednesday near what appeared to be a warming fire in an empty lot behind the 600 block of Riverside Drive, authorities said.
An autopsy is being scheduled for Mark A. Carlton, a longtime Okanogan and Omak area resident who was homeless, said Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers.
He said detectives believe his death was accidental.
Someone saw his body, which was badly burned, and authorities were notified at about noon. “We believe it happened the night before,” Rogers said, explaining that a fire was still smoldering, and a sleeping bag next to the fire had burned up.
He said Carlton may have fallen in the fire, or may have been trying to get out of his sleeping bag and was unable to escape the flames.
He said there’s nothing at the scene to indicate foul play.