WENATCHEE — Wenatchee Fire Chief Stan Smoke is urging people to use extreme caution in thawing out frozen pipes during the current cold snap.
A homeowner in the 400 block of Douglas Street started a small fire in a basement wall about 11:15 a.m. Sunday by using an electric heater gun to melt frozen pipes, Smoke said. The wall got so hot that it caught towels on fire that were on the other side of the basement wall. The homeowner put the fire out with water before fire crews arrived. Smoke estimated damage to the wall at $200.