Tuesday, February 5, 2013
100 years ago — 1913
• Mr. and Mrs. A.V. Shepard of North Wenatchee Avenue have returned from a trip to Seattle.
• Darius J.W. Murdock of Waterville was this week issued a patent for a pipe coupling. Murdock is in the hardware business in Waterville and expects to make a fortune from his invention.
• Officers were elected for the Wenatchee Canal Co. during a special meeting of the board of trustees yesterday. They are W.T. Clark, president; E. Boehmer, vice president; and DeVere Utter, secretary.
50 years ago — 1963
• Ross Heminger of East Wenatchee was presented the Wenatchee YMCA’s pioneer award Sunday before 150 volunteer workers who packed the decorated Y gym for the second annual recognition dinner. The presentation was made by Don H. Phipps. Heminger received the award in recognition of his longtime service to the YMCA.
• Harold O. Weed filed Friday for re-election to the Chelan County Board of Education.
• Joe Ryan of Wenatchee has been elected as associated men’s student body board of control representative at the University of Washington. He is a junior majoring in general studies.
• Mrs. Louise Busse is president of Degree of Honor Lodge for the coming year. Assisting her are Bessie Parsley, first vice president; Sadie Schmidt, second vice president; Rose Kimball, secretary; and Lovelle Hendricks, treasurer.
25 years ago — 1988
• Wenatchee area growers made a strong showing at the first regional meeting of the new Washington Association of Apple Growers in Ellensburg Saturday and organizers say they’re even more confident now that the group will succeed. A board of directors will be elected during the first general membership meeting which the group hopes to have in March, according to Bruce Ellingson of Tieton, treasurer. He said the emphasis will be on information because that’s what growers need to make profitable decisions.
MORE LIKE THIS
Friday, May 24
BNI Wenatchee Valley Friday
Smitty's Pancake House, 7 a.m.
Monday, May 27
Conquer Your Fear of Public Speaking - Toastmasters Meeting
First United Methodist Church, 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday, May 28
Chelan County PUD Auditorium, 327 N. Wenatchee Ave., 7 a.m.
Tuesday, May 28
Alzheimer's Association Caregiver Support Group
Lake Chelan Community Hospital, 1:30 p.m.