Here are the results of poll questions on wenatcheeworld.com in the past week and some of the responses:
What’s the best part of the Super Bowl?
Game 35 percent
TV commercials 51 percent
Food 11 percent
Drinks 3 percent
• I think “getting together with friends” should be on the list. That is my favorite part!
• I like the gambling part.
• When it is over.
• Super Bowl? Means we’re that much closer to baseball season.
• Don’t enjoy the half time show as much as I used to. The game is the best entertainment!
• Where is “all of the above”?
The city has a plan to reduce North Wenatchee Avenue between Fifth and Miller streets from four traffic lanes to two, to make room for bike lanes and landscaping. Do you support the plan?
Yes 11 percent
No 81 percent
Need more information 8 percent
• If history is any indication of how well the city listens or even cares about what the taxpayers have to say (think White Elephant Arena) then we are doomed to more congested traffic while bicyclists and butterflies have more room to play. This is the most insane idea to waste tax money and destroy the already over burdened road system in Wenatchee the city has come up with in well over a month.
• Until bicyclists in this town learn the rules of the road, I want to keep them as far away from my car as possible.
• My late husband was an avid biker, but almost never used Wenatchee Ave. Downtown is difficult enough to navigate via auto, or park, as it is; please do NOT do this.
• I think it will reduce a lot of traffic. People that want to shop or eat will go to east Wenatchee or elsewhere. That will make that area look like the stretch between Palouse and Second streets. With the reduced traffic businesses will downsize or fold. That will put people out of jobs.
• It is just hard to imagine that it is a good idea to reduce the lanes for vehicles by half on a major arterial. That being said, I would love to see LOTS of bike lanes. Bikes are a means of transportation and would be utilized more if it were safer to do so in Wenatchee. A little landscaping wouldn’t hurt either… North Wenatchee is the gateway to our community.
• I support the planning department’s vision, and think they are doing a great job implementing it. I have a hard time believing that this change is going to have the negative implications stated in this thread for the basic reason that Wenatchee Ave is already two lanes just down the street.
• A few years ago in East Wenatchee, this group was bragging about what they did on Orchard street in Wenatchee. The citizens did not want a bicycle lane, so the city sold it as a “snow removal” or “snow storage” lane. Which in the summer becomes a bicycle lane. That is how they work.
• This section of road is in need of repair, and most of the money being spent on that repair is going to get spent no matter what for the resurfacing as well as the utility repairs beneath the street. After that is all done it is a matter of how they are going to paint the lines, which is a trivial component of the project’s cost.
• Over $200,000 would be required from the city in matching funds. And just where would these come from, when the city is laying off folks and cutting benefits because of budget issues?
Who will win the Superbowl?
Ravens 46 percent
49ers 54 percent
• They forgot the other choice. Who cares?!
The current poll question:
How often do you dine out?
Go to wenatcheeworld.com to vote.