100 years ago — 1913
• Four cars of cast iron pipe to be used for Wenatchee Avenue water mains have arrived. The pipe is now being unloaded and distributed along the avenue where it will be laid as soon as spring weather makes ditch digging possible.
50 years ago — 1963
• Mrs. Clark W. Mauk will head the Wenatchee chapter of the Daughters of the American Colonists, 1607-1776, for the next three years. She was elected regent this week along with a full slate of other officers. They include Mrs. Eugene F. Clayson, first vice regent; Mrs. J. Earl Evans, second vice regent; Mrs. Walter P. Moulton, recording secretary; Mrs. W. Homer Stanley, corresponding secretary; and Merle Walker, treasurer.
• The Wenatchee Chamber of Commerce roads committee this week reaffirmed its stand in favor of leaving the route of U.S. 2 between Wenatchee and Coulee City unchanged. The action came at a special meeting after delegates from Ephrata, Quincy and Soap Lake requested that the road go through their towns.
25 years ago — 1988
• Gene Schmitz, a millwright at Keyes Fibre Co. for 17 years, was honored for his accident-free work record. Schmitz received a $100 gift certificate and will be listed on the company’s Hall of Fame plaque at the plant on the Chelan Highway.
• Jeannie Fife of Dick’s Towing in Wenatchee is the new treasurer for the Washington Tow Truck Association. The local chapter of the association, District No. 6, also named its officers for the coming year. They are Ken Fife of Dick’s Towing, president; Mike Tally of Hank’s Towing in Chelan, vice president; and Marv Aiken of Vista Service in Moses Lake, secretary-treasurer.