100 years ago — 1913
- Mrs. L.M. Hull hosted a dinner party Saturday evening at her home on Douglas Street. Guests include Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Kyle, Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Fuller, Rena Hull, Velma Kyle, Elvira Hull and Everett Brandenburg.
- At the close of the first half of the fiscal year, the financial statement of the city of Wenatchee shows that the city officials are well within the estimated cost for running the city for 1913. The estimate of the city’s expenses was $74, 354. The estimate of the receipts was $27,150, leaving $47,204 to be raised by taxation. Although numerous expenses have arisen not foreseen at the time the estimate was made, curtailments have been made in other departments which it is believed will leave the city at the end of the year within the estimate.
50 years ago — 1963
- Mandy Jo Taplett and Bob Stone, both of Wenatchee, are on a seven-week tour with the 43-member Youth For Christ group from the Pacific Northwest.
- Thomas R. Hurst will open a chiropractic office at 21 N. Main St. in East Wenatchee. Hurst graduated from the Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport, Iowa, this spring.
- Jerry Thompson has taken over management of the Valley Conoco service station at 404 Orondo Ave. Thompson has had seven years of service station experience and was trained at the Allen Tune-Up School.
- J.W. McFarland has been named local freight agent for the Great Northern Railroad depot in Wenatchee. He replaces D.H. Hunt, freight agent here since 1952, who retired this week.
- Herb Martin, formerly employed in the Kiltie Room of the Columbia Hotel, has taken over management of the hotel’s coffee shop.
25 years ago — 1988
- Joe Brown Jr., a 1981 graduate of Cashmere High School, has graduated from the University of Washington School of Law. While in law school, he was editor of the Washington Law Review. He has accepted an associate position with Montgomery, Purdue, Blankinship and Austin, a Seattle law firm.
- Chuck Slowe, son of Norman and Abby Slowe of Cashmere, has accepted a two-year visiting professorship at Purdue University in Indiana. Slowe graduated from Cashmere High School in 1969.