LAKE WENATCHEE — Lauren Pflugrath wasn’t at his Lake Wenatchee vacation house Friday evening but he still had a close-up view of flames climbing trees around the west side of the house.
Pflugrath was at his Seattle area home about 7 p.m. when a motion sensor went off at his Lake Wenatchee house. First, a camera showed a small spot fire, then a fire truck whizzing by. He shifted views and saw a cabin to the west, owned by Jim and Mina Talbot of Quincy, go up in flames.
Pflugrath said he remained calm, knowing fire crews were on the scene, but his wife, Judy, was so upset that she couldn’t watch the camera. Then, after a half hour, the power went out and they were left to hope that the home they built in the past few years would not burn.
Pflugrath said they built it with as many nonflammable surfaces as they could, knowing they were in the forest.
This morning, he said, he hoped that the only damage was to landscape vegetation, some tall trees and to windows on the west side of his house.
“I think we came out really well, but I feel bad for the Talbots because they had years of memories with the kids in that old A-frame cabin,” Pflugrath said. “That’s what goes away in this kind of thing.”