Here are the results of poll questions on wenatcheeworld.com in the past week and some of the responses:
Do you think public schools should be year-round?
Yes 50 percent
No 50 percent
- I think it would be a good idea to have school year-round. The school buildings just sit there empty for several months. A two or three week “vacation” between quarters would give everyone enough time to rewind and maybe the kids would learn and retain more if there wasn’t such a long break. Of course teachers’ salaries would need to be raised to make up for their summer jobs.
- Why don’t we just have school 24 hours a day, too, so that the education system can be totally responsible for the indoctrination … er, I mean education of our children? Good grief, the kids need time away from school so they can deal with family/social growth.
- I think that we should shorten the summer break to only 1 1/2 months and send the kids back to school. They miss so much from being out of school for so long. They forget a lot as well.
- Year-round school with three-quarter requirement. This would decrease school population and give kids a choice of which quarter to take off (based on seniority). Teachers could be contracted per quarter/quarters giving them a vacation option. Also switch to a proficiency requirement instead of grade hierarchy system
Facebook says it will always be free, but if they started charging, would you still use it?
Yes, if the price wasn’t too high 2 percent
Probably, but reluctantly 4 percent
No, I’d stop using it 66 percent
I don’t use Facebook 29 percent
- If they started charging money, someone else would create another social media site that was free and everyone would flock to the new site. Leaving Facebook to be the new … MySpace. Someone smart enough to create that empire isn’t dumb enough to shoot the golden goose.
Do you think there should be traffic cameras in school zones?
Yes 63 percent
No 32 percent
Not sure 6 percent
- I live very near a grade school and every day I see cars going way too fast. Kids are kids and need our attention and protection especially at the end of a school day, when they’re eager to get away.
- Cameras should be a definite must. Too many idiots driving out there, and the fine should bite hard.
- I would like to see less of Big Brother’s presence everywhere. What’s next … facial/voice recognition software or drones flying overhead? I’m getting tired of the constant electronic surveillance wherever we go. How about some removable speed bumps instead? Roll ’em out when kids are present, and roll ’em up when they’re gone. Cheap and effective.
- I don’t think we need cameras nearly as much as we need FAR better signage at every school zone to make motorists aware that they are even in a school zone.
- …. Forget the cameras, but by all means … let’s improve our kids’ safety by installing proper signage of school zones.
The current poll question:
What kind of phone service do you have?
Go to wenatcheeworld.com to vote.