100 years ago — 1913
- Eliza Spaulding Warren of Lakeside addressed the students of Whitman College yesterday. Warren was a survivor of the Whitman mission massacre and the first white woman born in the west.
- Lydia E. Rea recently sold her orchard on North Wenatchee Avenue to S.W. Small, a stereotyper at The Daily World.
- About 30 couples enjoyed a dance last night hosted by the Merrymakers at the Commercial Club hall. Crollard’s orchestra provided the music.
- Mrs. John Leonardy hosted a dinner party last night at her home on Cleveland Avenue in honor of her husband’s 69th birthday. Those present included Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Leonardy, Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph Leonardy, Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Robertson and Nellie Robertson.
- Mrs. David Studler hosted the Douglas Street Club yesterday afternoon. Members spent their time doing needlework and refreshments were served.
50 years ago — 1963
- Hope for a re-study of navigation possibilities to this stretch of the Columbia River is brighter than ever, the East Wenatchee District Chamber of Commerce was told Tuesday. Wilbur Elder of the Chelan County Port District told the group that it is possible that Congress will appropriate funds for a resurvey of navigation needs on the river. Congressman Walt Horan and Congresswoman Catherine May are working on it with the Corps of Engineers and other agencies, Elder added.
- In preparation for their annual rummage sale at the old Red Apple Café this weekend, Westminster Women of the First Presbyterian Church are searching attics and cellars for possible items. Members who planned the event included Mrs. Harrison Woodow, Mrs. Fritz Morrison and Mrs. William Shirran.
25 years ago — 1988
- Alpha Gamma hosted the recent Founder’s Day celebration of Columbia River Assembly of Phi Sigma Alpha at Nendels Four Seasons Inn. Ellie Sanford of Alpha Gamma and Ruth Williams of Washington Phi were each named Woman of the Year. Sue Spearman was elected president of the assembly.
- Claribel Clayson observed her 101th birthday during a recent celebration in her apartment at Colonial Vista II.