Here are the results of poll questions on wenatcheeworld.com in the past week and some of the responses:
Comments on The Wenatchee World website must now be approved by a moderator before they appear. How do you feel about this new policy?
Good 33 percent
Don’t allow comments at all 12 percent
The old way was better 35 percent
I’ll wait and see 20 percent
- The Wenatchee World should be applauded for the way in which they maintained the comments in the past. I really don’t see why they needed to change.
- I am appalled. Where in the world of news commentary reader/listener forums have you ever found precedence for this? “Civility and politeness” go just so far and then they become “Disneyesque” for lack of a better word. I can hear the sound from the newsroom now: “You children hold hands and listen to me or we won’t be going on this field trip to visit the big kids school”!
- Disgusted is another word that aptly describes how I feel about this.
- Makes no difference to me. I am always calm, cool, collected and boring!
- I wonder if there were any comments that were critical of this new policy or if they were “moderated” into oblivion.
- Paranoia is rampant!
In January, Washington state’s minimum wage will go from $9.19 to $9.32 an hour. How do you feel about that?
It should go up more 37 percent
A smaller increase would be better 4 percent
That’s about right 20 percent
It should go down some 6 percent
Just go with the $7.25 federal minimum 33 percent
- Raise it and throw in a health care option.
- Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime. We are not doing anybody any favors by continuing to give handouts. There is training out there to turn your life around and not work minimum-wage jobs. But, YOU have to seek it out. I know I did it.
- It will hurt the smallest of local businesses and benefit the largest of corporations. A friend used to pay $1 over minimum wage for a new hire eight years ago with yearly raises. He now has two less employees and pays minimum wage to all but one employee. There’s a reason why you see less and less small business in this town and although the minimum wage hikes aren’t the only reason, its surely a part of it.
- The federal minimum wage is an equalizer across all states and should be observed for all entry jobs for the benefit of all workers and businesses.
Do you support I-522, the initiative to require labeling of genetically altered foods?
Yes 38 percent
No 56 percent
Undecided 6 percent
- I want to know what I am eating and where it is grown. However, we all know how well monitoring of what we eat goes. As long as they feed meat to cows, as long as we are still poisoning our food grown here by shoddy production, it won’t really matter what the label says.
- While we as consumers demand low prices, organically grown products are pricier. Let the market determine what is grown. Scaring consumers with a non-GMO label (when there is no difference as eaten) furthers the no GMO agenda. As I stated earlier, those producers/processors who are GMO free proudly announce that fact on their labels. Generally those products cost more. Let the consumer and the market determine which products are produced and sold.
The current poll question:
What’s your favorite Halloween costume?
Go to wenatcheeworld.com to vote.