MANSFIELD — A one-story rental home at 24 Wilmot St. was badly damaged by a fire that was reported at 2 a.m. Friday.
The fire began in the area of the main breaker box to the house, said Tyler Caille, chief of Fire District 5. The cause was electrical.
The occupant, Cindy Odenius, told firefighters that she woke up to hear loud popping noises in the back of the house. When she realized there was a fire, she ran to a neighbor’s house to alert the fire department. Caille said Odenius was put in touch with the Red Cross for assistance.