Here are the results of poll questions on wenatcheeworld.com in the past week and some of the responses:
Which is your favorite season in NCW?
Fall 47 percent
Winter 7 percent
Spring 21 percent
Summer 25 percent
- When the weather is not miserable: mid February to the end of June, and then mid-August to mid-November. However, because weather never follows the rules …
- All of the above.
- I’ll say spring, because it defines a time of rebirth, new life and change, but I agree that “all of the above” should have been a choice. Just be thankful that you live in an area that is blessed by four distinct seasons rather than one long and miserable winter with a few short weeks of sunshine.
Is this country safer now than it was Sept. 11, 2001?
Yes 27 percent
No 62 percent
Not sure 11 percent
- I fear a terrorist attack far less then I fear the erosion of the rights and freedoms that we all enjoyed 12 years ago.
- We have had attacks in Boston, Fort Hood and Little Rock. The Iranians are threatening us if we harm their puppet in Syria. The federal government still hasn’t come clean as to what happened a year ago in Libya, which has contributed to the uncertainty factor. I had to answer yes only because we are safer than we were in the naive years immediately before 2001. However, there has been a steady decline since the initial response to 2001; all of the bad people in the world have been emboldened and have regrouped.
- No! Not in the least! And those cameras? where have they gotten us? and getting groped by professional molesters at the airports? And the militarization of our domestic peacekeepers? Now we have cops at least as trigger happy as ANY tweaker and nothing but innocent dead dogs (not to mention the occasional deaf Native American Seattle area wood carver and Spokane-area minister) to show for it. The NSA, the DEA spy on us. Our smart phones spy on us. Our smart TVs spy on us. Our smart meters spy on us. We went from the “land of the free” to a nation of rats in one fell swoop. Safer? No. Not until we can find some real protection from our would-be protectors!
- The no voters are paranoid! We have not had any major attacks in the U.S. since and dozens have been averted in the U.S. and worldwide, so how do you think we are not safer in the U.S.? Albeit we have spent billions doing it and stepped on a lot of freedoms. If you think we are not safer go live for a while overseas in one of the safe places.
As you’ve learned more about the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, has your opinion changed?
No, always liked it 17 percent
No, never liked it 55 percent
Yes, favorably 7 percent
Yes, negatively 10 percent
Still don’t know much 11 percent
- In the run-up to the 2008 election, a medical ethicist tried to convince me the problem with U.S. health care was too many old people with money were competing with poor children for health care resources. I don’t think she made this up by herself, but was echoing the prevailing thought in her office lounge. If you examine the ACA you can see the madness behind the method. Lest anyone be confused, the ACA is presented as all about health insurance and not about access to health care. However, no one appears to be able to say one won’t impact the other; just be patient and allow it to unfold. Yeah, sure.
The current poll question:
How important is a proposal to build a new road and bridge across the Wenatchee River?
Go to wenatcheeworld.com to vote.