TACOMA — Fifteen years after its last service, a historic Methodist church soon will celebrate its new life as the arts center for the University of Washington Tacoma.
The school spent $600,000 on upgrades to the 1929 brick church building at 1901 S. Fawcett Ave., which it bought in 1999. It has a new roof. It has new electrical wiring. For the first time, the building is heated. The choir loft is now a computer lab. The basement fellowship hall and the sanctuary are now studio art classrooms.