WENATCHEE — Outstanding faculty and staff members at Wenatchee Valley College were recognized during a virtual awards ceremony in June.
English faculty Heather Ryan from East Wenatchee received the Linda Schultz Herzog Faculty Member of the Year Award, which includes a $1,000 honorarium funded by the WVC Foundation. She has taught English at WVC since 2014. She also serves as the faculty professional development coordinator and division chair for transfer English.
In a letter nominating Ryan for the award, fellow faculty member Zack Jacobson wrote, “I’ve seen Heather go above and beyond when it comes to advising and providing tutelage to students in need. The feedback I hear about her classes is that she is difficult, fair, and willing to make sure all understand the topic on hand. Heather is intelligent with zero essence of condescension and works just as hard helping her coworkers as she does with students.”
The MAC Gallery received the Alcoa Excellence in Teaching Award, which also includes a $1,500 grant provided by Alcoa. Each year, faculty members are invited to submit proposals that will support instructors in the development of a project that significantly increases learning effectiveness. The MAC Gallery in WVC’s Music and Arts Center offers high-quality visual art exhibitions and cultural events for students and the community. The gallery applied for the grant to support artist expenses, publicity and gallery equipment for its 2020-21 schedule of exhibitions.
Other award recipients included:
- Tria Skirko, an electronic services librarian, received the Anna Pieratt Spirit of WVC Award for her years of promoting and embodying WVC spirit. The award honors an individual or group who has demonstrated the spirit exemplified by Anna Pieratt when she served as executive assistant to the president.
- Outstanding Part-time Faculty Award: Jackie Browning, math faculty, for Wenatchee campus; and Yvette Hill, business computer technology faculty, for Omak campus.
- Cheryl Fritz, assistant director of financial aid, received the WVC Exempt Staff Award, which includes a $1,000 honorarium funded by the WVC Foundation.
- Jocelyn Vincent-Ramsey, program coordinator, received the WVC Alcoa Classified Staff Award and a $1,000 honorarium funded by Alcoa.
- 10-year Service Award: Michelle Cannaday, student leadership and engagement coordinator; and Peter Donahue, English faculty.
- 15-year Service Award: David Bennatt, biology faculty; Lynne Kottmeier, developmental education faculty; Laura Murphy-Belser, classified program coordinator in financial aid; Richard Ralston, custodian; and Dr. Jim Richardson, college president.
- 20-year Service Award: Cecilia Escobedo, executive assistant to vice president of instruction; Angelica Jaquish, program specialist; Riva Morgan, workforce education pathways director; and Beverly Warman, chemical dependency studies faculty.
- 25-year Service Award: Angela Russell, math faculty; and Sharon Wiest, math faculty.
- 30-year Service Award: Leonardo Garcia, agriculture faculty; and Daniel Stephens, biology faculty.
- A 35-year Service Award: Greg Jourdan, environmental systems and refrigeration technology faculty.
- Retiring employees: Pamela Kelley, curriculum coordinator; Juanita Gaytan, custodian; and David Knutson, maintenance mechanic.
Holly Thorpe is a writer and editor for the community relations department at Wenatchee Valley College.