NCW — Many local council and school board members are not seeking re-election this year.
Leavenworth Councilman Elmer Larsen resigned after a Tuesday meeting. Two candidates are running for his position this fall, but in the meantime, the council will discuss options for filling the vacancy at its June 11 study session.
Larsen, 77, was the longest-sitting member of the current council, having served over 20 years non-consecutively. He was also mayor for two years.
“I’ve just recognized that I’ve got to reduce the stress and look after my health,” he said.
Several people are seeking other offices.
East Wenatchee Councilman Tim Detering, Waterville council members Jill Thompson and Charles Driver, and Bridgeport School Board member Zeke Martinez are looking to become mayor of their respective municipalities.
Also, East Wenatchee Mayor Steve Lacy is running to be a commissioner for Douglas County Sewer District No. 1.
The primary is Aug. 6, and the general election is Nov. 5.
Here’s a list of some incumbents who did not file for re-election in the Wenatchee Valley and surrounding area.
- City Council: Mike Poirier (District 4)
- City Council: Kameon Smith (Position 4)
- City Council: Kelly Allen (Position 1), Wendy Isenhart (Position 4)
- School Board: Jim Colbert (District 4)
- City Council: Michael Chambers (Position 2), Lalla Przespolewski (Position 5)
- Cascade School Board: Brenda Biebesheimer (District 2)
- City Council: Margaret Neighbors (Position 3), Elmer Larsen (Position 7)
- Mayor: Cheri Farivar
- School Board: Shelby Petersen (District 1)
- City Council: Tim Detering (Position 6)
- Eastmont School Board: Chris Gibbs (District 2), Steve Piccirillo (District 5)
- Mayor: Steve Lacy
- City Council: Philip Lee (Position 4)
- School Board: Zeke Martinez (District 3)
- Town Council: Erik Hessman (Position 5)
- School Board: Grant Daniel (Position 4)
- City Council: Ray Pearson (Position 1)
- Mayor: Royal DeVaney
- Town Council: Jill Thompson (Position 3), Charles Driver (Position 4)
- City Council: David Durfee Jr. (Position 7)