EAST WENATCHEE — Douglas County Fire District 2 put out several fires Sunday and Monday in the East Wenatchee area.
A resident was taken to the hospital after he burned his hands and feet by opening the front door and walking through a fire at a duplex on Clements Circle, said shift Capt. Mike Soltwisch. Flames damaged the front porch, and the inside of the home sustained heavy smoke damage.
He said firefighters were called out about 1:50 a.m. Sunday to that incident and were finished about 2:45 a.m.
They were then dispatched about 12:20 p.m. the same day to a fire at a home on Fancher Heights Boulevard, Soltwisch said. A plastic magnifier, which a resident had used to get more light to her plants, is the suspect.
He said flames damaged an outside basket that held plants and storage drawers, and there was light smoke in the home, which was unoccupied when the fire started. Firefighters wrapped up about 12:55 p.m.
Firefighters were called out about 3:10 p.m. Sunday to a brush fire at Highway 28 and Third Street Southeast, Soltwisch said. A company was putting up a sign and the welding caused sparks to fly, resulting in fire.
He said the flames threatened a nearby church, but firefighters contained it to about a quarter of an acre and there was no damage. They were finished about 4:30 p.m.
Then on Monday, Soltwisch said, excavation work sparked a half-acre brush fire near South Majestic and Rock Island roads. Firefighters were dispatched about 10:10 a.m. and wrapped up about noon.