EAST WENATCHEE — Rain Friday may have caused a utility-pole fire that led to almost 900 people without power. 

The fire occurred at 6:15 p.m., at the intersection of 33rd St. and Cascade Ave., according to Douglas County PUD and RiverCom information. To fix the utility-pole the PUD had to cut power to 860 residences at 8:20 p.m., between 19th Street Northeast and Baker Flats Road, said Meaghan Vibbert, Douglas County PUD spokeswoman. Power was restored to all residences at 9:20 p.m., she said. 

Sometimes the insulator on the cross arm of a power pole can get a little crack in it, Vibbert said. Then when there is a rain event the electricity has a path and it cause a fire. 

Tony Buhr: 664-7123

buhr@wenatcheeworld.com or

on Twitter @TonyBuhr

Environment, county and health reporter

Tony Buhr has been a professional reporter for almost seven years. He worked for the Walla Walla Union-Bulletin as a cops and courts reporter. The Ellensburg Daily Records as a cops and courts, breaking news, agriculture and water reporter.